So you’ve got your skincare routine set with the essentials; cleanser, toner, moisturizer, and SPF. You want to up your skincare game, get that luscious, glowy skin and shine. That’s where face oils come in!
You’re in a world of glass vials of mysterious ingredients, fancy names, and fancier packaging. Choosing the face oil for you can be confusing, and with how expensive some are, not up for trial and error.
That’s where we come in! Let’s start with a few explanations of the differences between face oils, serums, and ampoules.
Larger molecules, which means they sink into the top layers of skin (better for hydration, similar to a moisturizer)
Usually are lightweight on your skin.
Low-medium concentration of ingredients as they are mainly for moisturizing. For those with oily & combo skin, a face oil might replace your moisturizer. If you have dry skin, face oil can boost your moisturizer's power.
Serums’ molecules range in size, however are typically smaller so they absorb deep into your skin and usually have specific purposes including anti-aging, hyperpigmentation, and acne.
Range in viscosities, from watery all the way to gel-like consistency.
Medium-high concentration of ingredients usually selected to serve a specific purpose quickly.
Highly concentrated ingredients which can give results after one use.
These are meant for skin “emergencies” like breakouts.
Facial Oil Tips
- Lightest first: if you’re using multiple face oils or in combination with serums and ampoules, use the lightest weight one first to give it adequate opportunity to be absorbed by your skin.
- You can mix it up: mix your serum with your moisturizer in the palm of your hand before applying for a dewy finish!
- Only a few drops: less is truly more with face oil! It doesn't take much, so use it sparingly so you don't drown or clog your pores.
Next, in choosing a face oil, pick one with ingredients based on your desired result:
Acne Reduction & Prevention
- Vitamin C: reduces inflammation, promotes glowiness
- Retinol: reduces inflammation
- Grapeseed Oil: heals acne and reduces the appearance of scars
- Spirulina: speeds up healing by boosting collagen production
- Tea tree oil: anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial
*Important note: because Vitamin C and retinol operate best at different pH levels, it is NOT recommended you use them at the same time - a face oil with Vitamin C in the morning and retinol at night is a better option.
- Glycolic acid: exfoliates, boosts collagen and elastin in your skin to look fuller and brighter
- Hyaluronic acid: moisturizes by drawing water to your skin, plumping your skin, and reducing the appearance of fine lines.
With all of these ingredients, their benefits overlap into the four main skin concerns, acne, aging, dehydration, and dullness.
Whichever you choose, we hope it’s clean and free of fillers! Doing your research is key to selecting the face oil, serum, or ampoule that’s right for your skin’s needs.
The three in the image are from our summer box are clean and focused on keeping your skin happy & glowy! Check them out:
Marula Rosehip Gold Face Oil from Newt by elle
Wonder Luxe Body Oil Mini from Hadaka
Marina Biome Brightening Ampoule from Earth Harbor