The weather is gray and rainy - but don’t tell our skin! We’ve gathered four DIY recipes to make your skin feel like summer, even if you just want to curl up into the weather.
Homemade lip scrub
Nothing says chilly weather like chapped, cracked lips. If we can’t reach for Niu Body’s cherry lip scrub or lip balm from Salt & Seaweed Apothecary, we’ll be using this recipe to have kissable lips (it is cuffing season, after all - but air kisses only!).
Brown Sugar Scrub
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4-5 drops of your favourite (non-irritating) essential oil
- Mix the brown sugar with raw honey.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to the mixture.
- Once you have a paste-like consistency, apply scrub to your lips and rub in for 1-2 mins. Don’t over-exfoliate!
- Rinse with lukewarm water and seal the deal with lip balm.
DIY for dry hands
Another scourge of the colder seasons are dry hands - combined with all the handwashing and sanitizer, our hands are looking like the desert! Here’s a treatment we found that kept our hands smooth and moisturized.
- 1 ripe avocado (peeled & pitted)
- 2 tablespoons honey (raw, not processed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons plain yogurt
- 10 drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Spread a thick, even layer over hands. For best results, wrap hands in plastic to allow for deeper moisture penetration.
- Leave on for 10-15 mins.
- Compost the hand mask and rinse off any residue with warm water.
- Follow up with a little moisturizer, if necessary.
Freshen up your face!
If you’ve been staying up too late or dealing with maskne, then the Coffee Turmeric Face Mask is the answer! Caffeine helps with puffiness (plus the smell is just what we need to tackle the day) while turmeric helps with acne or scarring.
If you’re looking to return the summer glow to your skin, then scroll down for the Brightening Blueberry Face Mask!
- 1 Tablespoon Instant or Ground Coffee
- 1 Tablespoon Powdered Turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon of Greek Yogurt
- Mix ingredients together until well blended
- Apply all over the face, including under the eyes.
- Let the glory of coffee and turmeric absorb in your skin for 20 minutes.
- Remove with a warm, damp towel.
Pro Tip: If you want some anti-oxidant benefits, we recommend swapping out greek yogurt for honey.
- 1 tablespoon crushed ripe blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cucumber juice
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until blended.
- Spread mixture evenly on your face (avoiding eyes).
- Rest for 15-20 mins.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Follow up with favourite serum to lock in moisture.
If DIYs aren’t your thing, check out our marketplace! We use and source the same natural, clean ingredients to keep your skin happy all year round.
Subscribe to this season's box to kickstart your self-care routine: