You’ve probably seen them going around social media, but where did this trend come from and is it worth it to invest? That’s right, we’re talking about facial massages!
Facial massages started in China originally used to improve energy flow and blood circulation. The traditional method was used on the whole body using a flat tool and scraping the skin until red. Today, we have adapted a more gentle technique for just the face using tools made from crystals like rose quartz, jade, amethyst, and more.
What Are the Benefits?
This is one of our favorite parts about using a Gua Sha. Releasing tension helps to relax the face muscles and prevent them from being tense, which can cause wrinkles.
Since we don’t move our face muscles as often as we use other muscles in our body, giving yourself a facial massage helps to increase blood and oxygen flow in the face as well as helping to drain the lymphatic system.
A Natural Face Lift
By stimulating oxygen and blood flow, this naturally increases collagen production to give you that glowy skin.
If you’re still not sold on the benefits of facial massages, at minimum you’ll get to enjoy a few moments of me-time to self reflect, relax, and feel good!
How to Give Yourself a Facial Massage Using a Gua Sha
We recommend applying a facial oil (we love Midnight Paloma or NEWT by Elle’s facial oils) before using your Gua Sha to ensure a smooth, even surface. Hold the tool at a 45 degree angle, and scrape the skin in an upward and outwards motion.
- Start in the center of the forehead and work your way across in an upwards motion using the longest side of the tool.
- Gently Go across the eyebrow bone and cheekbone using the divet in the tool.
- Going back to the long flat side of the tool, move across your cheek, and jowl area.
- Use the divet again in broad strokes across the jawline starting from the chin towards the ear.
- Last, use the long, curved part of the tool in an upwards motion across the neck.
Get started on your massages with the Midnight Paloma Gua Sha or Jade Roller today!